Monday, November 12, 2007

:-) Is 25!


Ok all, I am 100% guilty of re-posting this blog entry, but I feel like we never really had much discussion regarding this issue. I was reminded of my own questions a few months ago when I read this: http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/18/emoticon.anniversary.ap/index.html

Actually, after reading the rationale behind the :-) emoticon, I found myself relaxing my stance a lot. According to the CNN.com article cited above, this was not the lazy shortcut I'd assumed it was; it was created as an honest attempt to add a bit of personal communication to an otherwise faceless format. Still, I'm re-posting this entry because I'm still interested in a discussion about the use of Internet shorthand.


pls print 2 copies as my wrk machine is down. thks! Ok, all, I have to preface this post with the fact that I personally hate emoticons (those little sideways smiley faces, etc. :) ). I don't believe that many electronic shortcuts can replace the joys of personal communication. I personally loathe the fact that many students have been using "IM-speak" as a tool for writing. But then I realized that I do just the same! Gasp! Yes! I, too, am guilty of taking shortcuts in my daily communications. As I noticed that, I started to wonder if my loathing of grammatical shortcuts was somewhat misinformed. I mean, it seems that I use shortcuts on a daily basis, but I am still able to employ formal English grammar when the situation warrants it. I am rethinking my judgment of students who use similar shortcuts.

For example, they might write, "ur joke was so funny im rol. ttly!" (Your joke was so funny, I am rolling on the floor laughing. Talk to you later.) But truth be told, I remember that when I was in college, a few students who had pagers (hello, old school!) used abbreviations like that too. I know some English teachers bemoan this slang, but lately I've reconsidered it. Maybe students can, and will, differentiate between the types of grammar appropriate to each situation. I am wondering if you teachers of older students have noticed this sort of code-switching going on. Or perhaps you've noticed students' grammar getting progressively worse over the years. What is it, do you think?

3 comments:

jturk said...

Mya,

I can honestly say that it drives me crazy to see improper grammar in e-mails. I avoid it at any cost. However, as far as kids using it, I can see why they choose to use shortcuts. Do I like it? NO!!! I have a little experience with middle school kids and not only do they write shortcuts, but they speak it as well. I dislike this more. Do we want our children speaking and writing in "codes"? These kids know the difference between proper grammar and I'm sure they know which situations they can use it and not use it. I'll give the kids the benefit of the doubt.

Cheryl said...

today was the first time that I actually heard a student use the IM talk in class today. It was in a casual conversation during work time, however as soon as it registered in my ear I laughed. I quckly told him that we were actually speaking and not IM'ing so he needed to speak properly.

Question to self: Would I have even taken notice of his word choice had I not just re-read this blog entry recently???

MMullineaux said...

I agree with the grammar issue in emails... when it comes to "official" messages. Of course, in a more casual situation, or if you want to show that something is happy or exciting, I think it can be beneficial to add the extra touch of an emoticon. :)

As for the affect on our overall language, I think that the internet and the language it has created does affect the children's writing. I think this will continue and I am not sure if we will be able to stop it. One way to educate about it with the students is to have discussion (and at the middle school level this is possible) about the appropriate-ness of this type of terminology on papers, class discussions, etc. so later in the real world they can handle both the work environment and cyberspace.