Saturday, May 17, 2008

Deep, Dark Secret

I'm going to reveal something of myself here. I know that I've blogged about the controversy brewing between English grammarians and tween bloggers who've adopted Internet slang to express themselves. I've always been one for showing what you know, so I never understood why anyone would purposely "dumb down" any writing.

However, I now see the light. (And it's two years after the fact.) I now can see how text messages need to, by definition, be written in brief. I can see how/why people use shorthand to write texts on cellies. You see, I text myself. I love sending text messages via cell phone. The years have passed, and I'm no longer so uber-concerned with proving to people that I do, in fact, know how to write abbreviations following AP style rules.

I guess I'm a slow, difficult product of the cyber-revolution. I think I worried too long about proper grammar. I am just not sure how to deal with the whole freedom of information and all that that entails.

How do we deal with this? Do we totally embrace this online revolution and try to create a cyberprofile for all of us? Do we ignore/deny the whole Internet presence? I'm just not sure, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I think the use of cyber-slang is perfectly acceptable in the right time and place... I too use it when I am texting on the cellie, and also in some e-mails. The only time it's use bothers me is when students use it in their work for class, and when they speak the "IDK" or "OMG" in conversation.