Friday, May 2, 2008

How to Create a Successful Blog...or NOT!



If I think about the development of blogging, I am basically an amateur. This got me to thinking about why some blogs work and why other blogs fail. These are some things that came to mind.


Blogging at its core is about reading and reflecting ~ not about responding. Yes, you have to respond but mostly it is a forum for developing the brain. For example, can you imagine a class that only allowed you to write and not read. Too often I think people don't like blogs because they think they have to write something witty, pithy or intellectual. That would be nice but is not a requirement. Next, if you want people to respond to your blog post then spend time reading and then responding to other peoples posts......have a conversation.....not a monologue. And lastly, nothing piques curiosity like a hyperlink to something fabulous (even if you only think its fab) or a graphic to spruce up the content.



.........so with that said.............where are my bloggers?
Our last session is Monday. See you all there.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I think Emmitt Honeycutt (the character)from QAF is fabulous too!

MMullineaux said...

Who is that???

I believe that it has to be a unique forum--something new and exciting-- and constantly evolving. For example, my first blog, where kids pretended to be a travler failed miserably. The kids were required to participate and their posts had eneded being very formulated... they were mostly worried about their grade. I hated it.

This year the blog has been great! It is just a part of their participation grade and they can bring any current event to discuss to the forum. It is safe and they know that only the other 6th graders and I are active readers. I definitely plan on keeping this format for next year's 6th graders.

makin said...

Blogger #3 reporting for duty, ma'am! Kidding, kidding, but I think you're right about the reflecting.

beth said...

Okay, Who is Emmitt Honeycutt? I am responding to a post at the risk of looking ignorant.
Beth